Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Reflections on this summer

For many of my friends and family members out of state, school has already begun.  We won't start until after Labor Day - and I love that!

We have had a wonderful summer so far, and we are squeezing as much enjoyment as we can out of it.  Notice that I said "enjoyment" vs. activities.   We have definitely been enjoying our activities, but have also had our share of goof-off days.

I think it's good for the kids (and for me!) to have days where we do simple things such as go to the library, browse through the books, and read for a few hours.  Another mom from school set up a schedule for Wednesdays at the park, and some of us show up when we can and stay as long as the kids are playing well. As well, when we're home and the girls are playing with their stuffed animals, using their imagination, and getting along -  let's just say it's beautiful music to my ears.  Therefore, I don't want to interrupt them to go somewhere else.  They are enjoying their home, which builds a foundation for home as a place that they love to be. At the same time, I can conquer a few home chores (dishes, laundry, dinner prep, etc.) while they are occupied, which makes me feel accomplished.

I think it's important to have a good mix: activities at home and outside the home, structured and unstructured time.  The summer is coming to an end, and that means our unstructured time will be a much smaller percentage of time soon, but they know how to use it well. I think that's a lasting lesson that will reap many benefits in their future.



No comments:

Post a Comment